I’ve seen this challenge, originated at Good Books and Good Wine, making the rounds on a few of my favorite blogs, and it looked fun, so I thought I’d give it a shot! I’ll be taking this one slow, so my answers will be spread out over the course of a few weeks.
Make 15 book related confessions.
- I judge a book by its cover. But you know you do it, too.
- I actually love using an ereader. Of course nothing will ever compare to flipping tactile pages in a book, but the convenience of being able to whip out my ereader in a waiting room or on a plane and choose from a selection of over a hundred books is just amazing to me.
- I’m a messy reader. Cracked spines, coffee-stained pages, . Sorry—you’re gonna find that on my bookshelf. Life’s too short and books are too good to not read while you’re stuffing your face.
- For that very reason, I won’t read an autographed copy. Because I’m so messy, I’m terrified of messing it up and if it’s autographed, it’s special to me.
- I have to read in silence. I can’t focus if I can hear the tv in the background, and I have this irrational thing about listening to music, because when I hear whatever song is playing again, I’ll associate it with what I was reading the last time I heard it. Does that make sense?
- I am a book hoarder. “But what if I want to read it again?” Self, you’re never gonna read that book again. Get rid of it. Donate it. Get. It. Away. Make room for other books on your overflowing bookshelf.
- I can’t read in the car. Or spend too much time looking at my phone. Motion sickness, man. You can imagine how difficult this makes road trips.
- I struggle to read epic fantasy. This includes the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And Game of Thrones. And Eragon. Dense writing and lengthy tomes… I just haven’t been able to make it work with an epic fantasy yet! I’ve been wanting to try LotR again soon, though, so maybe this will change!
- I also struggle to read romance. Even in books that aren’t specifically romance, but have a romantic sub-plot, unless it’s done in a way that doesn’t make me roll my eyes.
- I have never listened to an audio book. I don’t know why, really. It just feels like cheating! I’ve read some great audio book reviews since I started book blogging, though, and I’ve heard they’re great to listen to while working out, so maybe this will change soon, too!
- I’ve only met one author—Maureen Johnson. That was at LeakyCon 2011. I hadn’t read anything by her at the time, but now that I have, I’m super glad I at least got her autograph! I literally bumped into John Green during LeakyCon, too, but he was talking to someone and I didn’t want to bother him.
- I haven’t read many classics. In fact, I don’t think I’ve read any so-called classic books. I’m actively working to change this, though, because I feel supremely uncultured.
- I have a habit of trying to read too many books at a time. I can keep up with five storylines at once, right? I just get so excited about books, guys.
- I am now incapable of buying a book without first checking it out on GoodReads. I like knowing what other book reviewers thought!
- I feel bad for people who don’t love Harry Potter. Let me clarify. I feel bad for people who don’t love a book/series the way I love Harry Potter.