Sci-Fi Month is a month-long celebration of all things sci-fi hosted by Rinn of Rinn Reads! If you’re a fan of sci-fi (or are interested in finding out more about sci-fi!), be sure to check out what other participants are posting all November long!
I don’t know if any of you have done this, but I’ve certainly spent my fair share of time daydreaming about my favorite sci-fi crossovers… The crew of Serenity teaming up with the Doctor against the Cybermen, Olivia Dunham and co. teaming up with the Warehouse 13 crew, etc. Let’s be real. If more tv shows did crossovers, it would be huge.
Today I’ll be sharing the top ten characters that would make the roster for my ideal starship crew. Without further ado… the countdown!
10. Donna Noble of Doctor Who. I am of the opinion that all starships require at least one sassy ginger, and Donna Noble happens to be my favorite.
9. Kaywinnit “Kaylee” Frye of Firefly. Every ship worth its salt needs a good engineer/mechanic, and Kaylee fits the bill and then some. I love that she’s tough, vulnerable, girly, sweet, and smart all at once.
8 & 7. Peter & Walter Bishop of Fringe. If there was a problem, yo–they’d solve it. This father-son duo is one of my favorite relationship dynamics on tv, and I’d love to see how they’d fare on a starship!
6. The Doctor of Doctor Who. Do I really have to say anything?
5. Rory Williams of Doctor Who. I always loved Rory. I mean, I loved Amy, too, but Rory was amazing. Besides, someone would have to roll their eyes at the Doctor with Donna.
4. Charles “Trip” Tucker III of Star Trek: Enterprise. I know Kaylee’s already on my list, but can you really have too many engineers? Trip is one of my favorite Trek characters, and I mean, come on–those two would make an awesome team.
3. Leonard “Bones” McCoy of Star Trek. Bones is one of my favorite characters of all time, so it’s natural he’d make it on this list. His sass alone would make it worth it.
2. Nyota Uhura of Star Trek. With all due respect to her present incarnation, I’m talkin’ Original Series Nichelle Nichols here. I love her Uhura to pieces.
1. Malcolm “Mal” Reynolds of Firefly. Last but certainly not least would be Captain Tightpants. Surely the Doctor would be a captain in his own right, but with a crew like this, you’d really need someone with experience… and a pretty floral bonnet.
BONUS! The Weeping Angels of Doctor Who. Come on. What good’s a starship without a stellar adversary? The Weeping Angels are, by far, my favorite sci-fi baddies, and I’d love to see what this line-up made of them.
Pretty good line-up, I’d say, even though the cast is overwhelmingly, well, sassy. A crew like that could take over the world… or, you know, destroy it.