Harry Potter Re-read with Book Journey!

Let me tell you guys about my first love.

I was nine or ten, and my super progressive aunt who suggested progressive things asked if I had read these wildly popular books about some kid wizard called Harry Potter. No? I was a bit of a book elitist, and I didn’t like the idea of reading something everyone was talking about, thank you very much. Funny how wrong I was. I can actually vividly remember the day I caved, standing on the book aisle while shopping with my mom, and I reached up to grab Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to read the back cover.

I’m not joking when I say that no other action I have ever taken has changed my life as much as that one moment.

hpcollage2
Hogwarts at WWOHP | me at Platform 9 3/4 at King’s Cross Station | the entry to Hogsmeade at WWOHP | Harry Potter actors at A Celebration of Harry Potter in Orlando | Butterbeer! [This is a very, very small selection of some of my Harry Potter “greatest hits”. I’ll share much more over the course of the readalong!]

The Harry Potter books have helped me forge some of the greatest friendships I’ve ever had, they’ve inspired my passion for books and writing, they’ve given me that nudge to travel, and they’ve helped me cope with unimaginable losses. I owe so much to one woman and her bespectacled, messy-haired literary creation.

slytherinSo naturally, when I saw Claire’s post on Bitches With Books about Book Journey’s Harry Potter Re-read, I knew I had to participate. I used to have a yearly tradition of re-reading the entire series, but it’s been a few years since I’ve done that, and that doesn’t sit well with me. I need to experience the magic again.

I will, of course, be participating as a Seventh Year (meaning I’ve read all seven books) and a Slytherin (because Pottermore said so; plus, my dad is a Slytherin, so it runs in the family, and even though I was conflicted about this at first because I thought I was a Ravenclaw for ten years, I get it. I identify as a Slytherin now. End tangent. Again.).

Imagine my delight when I realized that my roadtrip with two of my best friends to Universal Studios in Orlando to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter fell during the readalong. For two of us, this will be our third time seeing the Harry Potter side of the park (first time seeing Diagon Alley!), and for one of my friends, it’ll be her first time seeing any of it ever. Plus, it’s been 10 years since all three of us went to Universal Studios together for the first time. :) You guys. You just don’t know how excited I am. Hogwarts is my home.

I know I’m a few days late here, but that’s okay! I’m so stoked to be a part of this with you guys, and I hope you enjoy reading my posts over the next several months. :)

20 Comments

• Reply Claire November 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

YAY! Welcome to the HP Read-Along fam! It’ll be SUCH fun! Ahhh… and you’re ahead of me in that Pottormore has deemed a fellow Slytherin but I am stubbornly sticking to my guns and will join the Slytherin side when I accept it. TIll then, claws all the way.
    Claire recently posted…2014 Reading Challenges: 10 Month Check-In (Claire)My Profile

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Claire! I’m super excited. :D

I understand that–and since the Hat takes your choice into account, I think your Ravenclaw inclination would be just fine. ;)
      Samantha Claire recently posted…Book Review: Suspicion by Alexandra MonirMy Profile

• Reply Sheila (Book Journey) November 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM

YAY for good internet!!! It is so fun that you and I both were at Harry Potter World in the past weeks! Wish we could have been there together we could have had a picture together!!!
    Sheila (Book Journey) recently posted…Morning Meanderings… Thousands Of Miles for this TravelerMy Profile

• Reply Jackie November 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Great Scott! You do love Harry Potter ! I can see you are a big fan. Great Post! I will never get to go to Harry Potter World so I appreciate you sharing your experience as well.

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Thanks for commenting, Jackie! I am indeed a very big fan. :) I hope you’ll enjoy my Wizarding World of Harry Potter post!

• Reply Whitney November 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I refused to read Harry Potter when it first came out too for the exact same reason as you (and probably the same age). My mom and uncle nagged me to no end about reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and now they are one of my favorite series.

Have fun with the readalong and at Harry Potter World!
    Whitney recently posted…Movie Review: The Not So Amazing SpidermanMy Profile

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 10, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Glad to find a kindred spirit! I definitely think Harry Potter was worth the nagging. ;) Thanks for stopping by, Whitney!

• Reply Literate Housewife November 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I’m so glad that Harry Potter has made such an impact on your life. This is my first time through the series and I’m looking forward to seeing what is to come.
    Literate Housewife recently posted…Fingersmith Read-A-Long ~ Chapters 15 – 17My Profile

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Oh wow. Congratulations on making the decision to start a truly fantastic series of books! :) Thank you for stopping by!
      Samantha Claire recently posted…ThanksReadingMy Profile

• Reply Erin November 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Your love of Harry Potter began very similar to mine! My crazy aunt gave them to me for my 9th or 10th birthday (I honestly can’t remember which now). Fortunately for me, I learned of them a bit before they blew up in America… I’m such a book hipster. But I wouldn’t want a world where I was the only person who’s heard of them; Harry brings everyone together!

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 10, 2014 at 7:23 AM

We’re Harry Potter twins! :) I know what you mean; I can get protective of things I love and want to keep them a secret from the world, but I’m so glad there are so many fantastic people out there that I can share my love of Harry with. Thanks so much for stopping by, Erin!

• Reply heather November 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I’m going to Universal in January. It will be my second time there and the first since Diagon Alley opened up.
    heather recently posted…The Astronauts Wives Club by Lily KoppelMy Profile

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM

That’s great! I can’t wait until my trip back to Universal. :)

Thanks for commenting, Heather!

• Reply Michelle @ In Libris Veritas November 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Finally another Slytherin! I was beginning to lose hope. :P
    I don’t know if I ever would have picked up the books if my teacher had not read the first one to us in class. I was reading at the time, but if it wasn’t in the school library I didn’t know about it and the first two books were always checked out.

I look forward to seeing your Wizarding World pictures! I have some as well, if I remember I’ll try to share a few. Though I definitely need to go again since they’ve added Gringotts and Diagon Alley.
    Michelle @ In Libris Veritas recently posted…Art It Up (6) – Pumpkin Pumpkin!My Profile

• Samantha Claire
      Reply Samantha Claire November 10, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Yay, Slytherin! We’re not all that bad, are we? ;)

Thanks for stopping by, Michelle! It’s funny the little things that can make such a big impact. I wish we’d read Harry Potter when I was in school!

I look forward to seeing your Wizarding World pictures, too! The park is so beautifully done.

• Reply :Donna November 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Samantha, you’re ONLY a few days late so it doesn’t even count :) I totally got choked up reading this post about what Harry Potter has meant to you. It is amazing the impact these books and Jo Rowling’s creation has had on so many people and in so many ways. And Sheila was just at HP World, too! :) We’ll TOtally enjoy this reread! :)